There are a few reasons why I am really excited to share this recipe with you: 1) I love pasta and any recipe that encourages me to eat more of it, 2) each turkey meatball is packed with shredded mushrooms, and 3) these tender turkey and mushroom meatballs are so moist and juicy! What's the trick for tender turkey meatballs? I use my secret ingredient, ground mushrooms! Oh yes, just wait till you try a bite.
Lately I have been playing around with ground turkey and have been finding ways to boost its flavor and tenderness. Ground turkey is a great lean protein but it tends to be a bit dry and bland. Adding blended mushrooms to the ground turkey mix before cooking plumps up the ground turkey, adds that delicious meaty flavor, and boosts your veggie intake.
Pro Tip: Different mushroom varieties have add different flavors to ground meat. Portobello and crimini mushrooms have a stronger, meatier flavor while button mushrooms tend to be a little less bold. For this recipe, I am using button mushrooms, but feel free to adjust the mushroom type depending on where your cravings are taking you.
Enjoy these tender turkey meatballs coated in your favorite marinara sauce, lay them in a bed of freshly cooked pasta, and top them with chopped herbs and grated parmesan.
Turkey & Mushroom Meatballs
These delicious turkey and mushroom meatballs are so juicy, tender, and unbelievably flavorful. These turkey meatballs are healthy because they are a blend of mushrooms and turkey which keeps these meatballs juicy and full of 'meaty' flavor. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 25 Meatballs 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb Mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 2.5 ounces Parmesan cheese
- ½ White onion, cut into long strips to fit into the food processor
- 1 lb 99% Lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¾ cup Bread crumbs
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with tinfoil and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a food processor, using the cheese grater blade, shred the mushrooms, garlic, onion, and parmesan.
- Transfer the shredded ingredients to a bowl and add the ground turkey, milk, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, and seasonings. Using your hands, mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Shape each meatball into 1 ½in - 2in sized pieces, placing each turkey and mushroom meatball onto the baking sheet. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, ensuring the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Enjoy!
- If you don't have a food processor with a cheese grater blade, you can shred the ingredients with a traditional cheese grater or finely chopped with a knife.
- Serve meatballs with a jar of your favorite marinara sauce, fresh cooked pasta or polenta, and optional freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serving Size: 5 Meatballs
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 909 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 124 mg
Keywords: Turkey Mushroom Meatballs, Healthy Meatballs