These zucchini pizza boats are as easy as they come. Four ingredients, prepped and cooked all in 20 minutes.. and it tastes like pizza! The simplest ingredients usually make for the tastiest recipes, so I put the best together and made the ultimate faux pizza. This zucchini pizza boat recipe is perfect for quick weeknight dinners, ready in a few easy steps. Just prep the zucchini, assemble the pizza boats, and bake in the oven. At the very end, turn the heat up to a broil, browning the mozzarella cheese top into a beautiful crust that creates a brick oven pizza flavor.
While I love traditional doughy pizza, sometimes I just want a quick and light version. A pizza I can eat every night for a week and not feel guilty about it! After a weekend trip to Chicago, where deep dish pizza was enjoyed quite a few times, I wanted to recreate the 'deep dish' pizza style but in an everyday dinner kind of way. I've made zucchini pizza sticks before but decided this time to turn the zucchini into a boat by scooping out the center, perfect for stuffing full of delicious ingredients. It's not exactly deep dish pizza but this everyday zucchini pizza boats recipe will knock your socks off, leaving you to forget all about its crusty identical twin.
Even the biggest veggie skeptic can't resist the lure of melty broiled mozzarella and thick pizza sauce! Not only are you enjoying a super delicious dinner recipe but you also get a whole zucchini with each serving, which is pretty impressive. Enjoy with a fork and knife or just dig in with your hands, there isn't a wrong way to eat these zucchini pizza boats! Now, let's get you a slice of this zucchini 'za!
Zucchini Pizza Boats
These super easy and healthy zucchini pizza boats have only 4 ingredients and are perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Just assemble the zucchini pizza boats, bake, broil, and enjoy! Dinner doesn't get much easier than that.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 Zucchini Boats 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
3 medium zucchinis
6 tablespoons pizza sauce
6 ounces of mozzarella cheese
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
Optional garnish: Fresh chopped basil
- Arrange the oven racks so that one rack is in the center of the oven and the other is near the top for broiling. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Prepare the zucchinis by trimming the ends and cutting them in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the zucchini's center seeds, making a long center canal in each of the zucchini halves.
- Add a tablespoon of sauce to the center of each of the zucchini halves and smooth out the sauce. Pat the mozzarella pieces dry with a paper towel and place mozzarella pieces on top of the sauce. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the top.
- Bake for 12 minutes on the center rack, then place the sheet pan on the top rack and broil for 3 minutes or until the cheese is beginning to turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool a little bit (the center can be extremely hot!) and if you are using basil, garnish before serving. Enjoy!
I used pearled mozzarella (also called ciliegine or cherry size) for this recipe but you can use any mozzarella, just tear or cut the mozzarella slices into smaller, one ounce pieces.
- Serving Size: 2 zucchini pizza boats
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 409mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: Zucchini pizza boat