Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel can be hard, especially when your goal is the size of Mount Everest. Conquering a long-term goal is best by taking small steps, but sometimes when we don't see immediate results, we loose focus, motivation, or decide to scrap the goal altogether. Staying motivated with a long-term goal is a discipline and dedication that sometimes requires a lifestyle or mindset change.
Recently, I needed a little motivational, inspirational pick-me-up. Running a blog full time while balancing a few lofty side projects can sometimes weigh me down. I can feel myself getting side tracked and overwhelmed when my to-do list keeps growing but I don't feel like I am making significant progress. To give myself some extra go-go juice I did a few fun things to get myself back on track. I found some awesome quotes on Pinterest about being a #GirlBoss (my new favorite saying) and I seriously felt like it gave me new life!
Aside from finding awesome quotes, there were a few other things I did to help re-focus back on my goals. After implementing a few tips and tricks into my daily routine, I realized these little motivation boosts could be used for any long-term goal! Weight loss, finances, studying for the GRE, you name it! Whatever your goal, let me talk you though some easy tips for staying motivated. Because you already put in a lot of work, don't loose sight of it now!
5 Tips for Staying Motivated with a Long-Term Goal
1. Remember Why You Started - What Will Change in Your Life if You Keep Going?
When you feel like giving up, remember what dream, feeling, or future you are chasing! What is your light at the end of the tunnel? Sometimes we just need to re-remind ourselves what achieving our long-term goal means to us. Look at where you were when you started, how far you have already come and what this goal means to you. Remembering and visualizing the why will keep your vision clear for the future and reinvigorate you to get back on track. Need help reminding yourself of the why? Create a vision board so you visualize the end result, everyday!
2. Find your Pin-spiration! - Pin Motivating Quotes and Look at them Often
Pinning inspiring and motivating quotes on Pinterest can put the wind back in your sails and give you a needed boost of motivation. It's like your handpicked prescription for crushing your long-term goals! Creating and updating a Pinterest board with all of your favorite motivating quotes is the perfect pick-me-up for those moments when you are loosing steam. To help me stay focused on building my website I made a secret board on Pinterest (follow my Pinterest account here!) full of girl boss quotes and pictures that will keep me and my goals on track. When pinning, make sure you are actually pinning items that are directly related to your goal or address the reason why you are unmotivated.
Some of my favorite Pinterest motivation search terms:
- Building a blog, brand, or business: Girl Boss, Gary Vee, Oprah Winfrey Quotes on Motivation
- Weight loss or lifestyle changes: Small Changes Quotes for Progress, Healthy Mindset Motivational Quotes
- School, Career, or Promotion Motivation: Motivational Quotes for Success Students, Quotes for Hard Work
- General: Success Quotes for Determination, Quotes for Climbing Mountains
3. Change Your Phone's Wall Paper - Eye Catching Quotes Become Constant Reminders
How often do we look at our phones? Turn those quick glances into reminders of your goal! Changing the image on my phone's home and background screen to a motivating quote was honestly a game changer for me. Whenever I looked at my phone, (usually for Instagram or Facebook distractions) I was instantly reminded of my goal, "Get it done!" and I would immediately go back to my to-do list. Your phone is something you are constantly looking at and can sometimes be the reason why we become unmotivated or distracted (cough social media). Every time you reach for your phone, you see your favorite quote reminding you to stay the course. I created the images below using an app called Word Swag, which is a fun way to create your own quotes or backgrounds! You can absolutely download and use the images for your own phone too! We can have matching backgrounds, I don't mind 😉
4. Document Your Small Wins - Each Successful Step Brings You Closer to Your Goal
Every day/week/month depending on your goal, writing down a small achievement will help you see movement towards your long-term goal. Whatever your small wins are, write them down! Documenting the small successes will help you see the traction, results, and how far you have come.
- For a long-term weight loss goal, document and celebrate when you loose one pound, try a new healthy recipe, or skip the elevator and take the stairs.
- When building a blog, screen shot your first few comments, highest article view, or the time you found yourself on a major website or google search.
5. Find Your Tribe - Surround Yourself with Success, Even When You Are Going in Alone
Finding successful and motivating people who are working towards similar goals is so important. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people will help you stay on track, visualize success, and find new tips or strategies for achieving your goal. However, surrounding yourself doesn't mean that the people in your day-to-day life have to be working towards the same goal as you. Seek those out who are motivating, inspiring, or have accomplished the same goal you are currently accomplishing through virtual outlets.
- Join a Facebook group (which acts like a chat room/support group) for people who are achieving or accomplished your same goal.
- Follow a motivational or aspirational Instagram account of someone who posts often about their success or struggles for a similar long-term goal.
- Subscribe and listen to podcasts that discuss your goal, niche, or industry. I personally listen to podcasts about blogging and even though I work from home and am a team of one, it makes me feel like there is a group of people out there working towards the same goal I am.
Whatever your long-term goals, I am your cheerleader! Seeking out motivational tips means that you care about your success, high five! You can accomplish anything you put your mind to and I hope these tips give you the extra boost you needed to stay motivated. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Do you have any tips or tricks for staying motivated with a long-term goal? Comment below! I would love to hear what has worked for you and some strategies for success.