Quick! Grab some chips and savor the toasty flavors of this pan roasted blender salsa recipe. Inspired by our recent trip to Mexico City, my palate was craving the vibrant Mexican flavors we reluctantly left behind. Guided only by my taste buds, I whipped up a salsa recipe that's exploding with flavor and spice. The best part about this recipe is that it's healthy and using a blender is perfect for easy chopping and quick clean up.
The flavors in this pan roasted blender salsa have more depth than your typical salsa because the vegetables are roasted. Roasting vegetables gives a dish a deeper flavor without relying on the salt shaker to make the dish delicious. Pairing the seared vegetables with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and sweet toasted corn kernels gives the perfect contrast of cravable flavors. Let the fresh veggies shine!
What makes this recipe so healthy?: 1) Pan roasting vegetables naturally gives this salsa recipe more flavor, allowing you so ease up on the salt shaker. More natural bursting flavor = less need for unnecessary flavor enhancers, like salt. 2) Roasting vegetables can enhance the antioxidant effects of lycopene, found in tomatoes. Roasting tomatoes for this recipe increases the lycopene. How cool! (source)
Pan searing tip: for this recipe, it's important to place the vegetables skin side down in a hot and oiled pan. This gives the vegetables the best, and most flavorful sear without cooking them all the way through. Also, don't move the vegetables around in the pan while searing, let them sit in the same place for the full 10 minutes, adding the corn to the pan in the final 3 minutes of cooking.
My favorite past of this pan roasted blender salsa recipe is the toppings! After roasting the tomatoes, jalapeño, onion, and corn kernels, all but the corn is blended together to make this delicious blender salsa. Then, top the salsa with the roasted corn kernels and extra cilantro leaves for the most gorgeous and vibrant garnish!
Now, all that is missing are the tortilla chips - the second most crucial element to this salsa snack spread. No chips mean no salsa eating utensil (a fork just isn't the same)! Sprinkle handfuls of tortilla chips around the serving dish and devour your spicy and pan roasted creation.
This healthy and easy salsa is full of spicy Mexican inspired flavors. The balance of light and fresh ingredients with roasted and deep flavors will be savored until the last bite is enjoyed. Health Boost: Roasting the vegetables in this recipe does two things - increases the antioxidant lycopene in the tomatoes and adds more flavor to the dish, which means the recipe doesn't need as much salt.
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
1 medium jalapeño, halved with seeds and stem removed
¼ red onion, cut in half
1 ear of yellow corn, kernels shucked
1 cup cilantro, roughly shopped (additional whole leaves set aside for garnish)
3 garlic cloves, whole
Juice from 1 lime
½ teaspoon salt
Best enjoyed with tortilla chips!
- Before prepping the vegetables, place a large pan over medium-high heat, adding the canola while the pan warms.
- Once the pan is hot, add quartered tomatoes, halved jalapeño, and onion slices to the pan, ensuring the tomatoes and jalapeños are placed skin side down in the pan. Sear the vegetables for 5-6 minutes, not stirring the pan to ensure the vegetables are browned. Scatter corn kernels into the pan and sear for another 3 minutes, then remove the pan from heat.
- Using tongs, remove the hot tomatoes, jalapeño, and onion from the pan and add them together to the blender (Note: Do not add the corn kernels to the blender). Then, add the cilantro, garlic cloves, lime juice, and salt to the blender and pulse 10 times until chopped and well mixed.
- After transferring the salsa from the blender to a serving dish, top the salsa with the whole, seared corn kernels from the pan. Cover and allow to chill in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.
Each ½ cup serving of salsa provides ¾ serving of vegetables
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 79
- Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Make this easy and healthy pan roasted blender salsa recipe for your next fiesta! Or party, small gathering, afternoon snack, and secret run to the refrigerator for an extra bite .. no one is judging (or even has to know).
Now, you have a decision to make. Who are you going to share your salsa with? Save me a chip!