This easy prickly pear margarita recipe has only 5 ingredients and is full of flavor! The freshly squeezed lime juice, splash of tequila, and sweet agave nectar all come together in the most vibrant pink prickly pear margarita.
- Prepare prickly pears by slicing each in half, scoop out the prickly pear meat and seeds, and discard the skin. Using a fork, mash the pulp and seeds into a semi-puree consistency.
- In a medium bowl or glass, mix together the lime juice, agave, and prickly pear puree until well combined. Strain with a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher.
- Pour 1/4 of a cup of the prickly pear margarita mix into a 6 - 8oz glass over ice. Add 1.5 ounces of tequila, then top with sparkling water.
- Using foraged prickly pears: Always handle foraged prickly pears with metal tongs when picking, halving, and scooping out the pulp. Prickly pears can have translucent quills that are extremely painful.
- Substituting with prickly pear syrup: For this recipe, fresh prickly pears are best but you can substitute for a pre-made prickly pear syrup. Pre-made syrups already have sugar added, so adjust the agave nectar accordingly. Also, be aware that using a prickly pear syrup for this recipe could change the total amount you'll be able to serve.
- String before serving: You can stir the margarita before serving but just know that you will loose the pink ombre. I personally don't stir my drink and I'm able to taste all the flavors in one sip.
- Make ahead: This prickly pear margarita can be made ahead up to the end of step 2, then sealed and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: This prickly pear margarita can be prepared until the end of step 2, the frozen in a sealed bag for up to 3 months. Try to remove as much air out of the bag as possible and always label and date before freezing. When frozen, the margarita mix will be a slushy consistency. To thaw, leave out at room temperature and it will rapidly melt within minutes.
- Serving Size: 8 ounces
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 31 g
- Sodium: 6 mg
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: prickly pear margarita