Making the Tortilla Dough:
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together and mix until well combined
- Using a fork to mix, slowly add the hot water and oil to the dry ingredients bowl. Gently stir the dry and liquid ingredients until the dough has a semi-uniform consistency. Take the tortilla dough out of the bowl and knead the dough by pressing your palm firmly into the center pushing the dough away from you, then pulling it back towards you in a circular motion. Knead the dough for about 30 seconds, ensuring a smooth consistency. Note: don't over mix the tortilla dough. Also, if the dough is too sticky, add more flour. If the dough is too dry, add more water.
- Separate the dough into 10 pieces, rolling each piece in your hands to form a ball. Place each ball onto a plate, cover with a towel, and let rise on the counter for 30 minutes. Note: covering the plate prevents the dough from drying out. You can place a semi-damp cloth over the dough if you are concerned they will become too dry.
Prepping the Decoration Ingredients:
- Using a mandolin slicer on the 1/8 inch setting or with very sharp knife, slice the jalapeño and bell pepper through the center of the vegetables, creating rings.
- While slicing, make sure your slices are very thin and maintain your desired shape for decorating.
Pressing and Cooking the Tortillas:
- Line the top and bottom of the inside of the tortilla press with plastic wrap. Place a dough ball in the center of the tortilla press and close the top of the press, flattening the dough ball.
- Open the tortilla press, peel off the plastic wrap from top and bottom of the tortilla and place the plastic wrap back onto the top and bottom of the tortilla press.
- Using a circular pastry cutter, cut a circle into the center of the freshly flattened tortilla dough. Cutting the dough with a circular pastry cutter helps keep the tortilla shape more uniform. Reuse the excess dough around the pastry cutter to form another tortilla ball - after all, it's still good dough.
- Assemble your flavor design on top of the tortilla and place the flattened and decorated dough back into the tortilla press and squeeze the tortilla press down again, flattening the design into the tortilla.
- Place a skillet on medium high heat and drizzle canola oil into the pan. Once the pan is hot, cook each side of the tortilla for 30 seconds, or until sear marks appear.